Preparation and cooking time: 2 to 2.5 hours
• 125gm butter
• 20 green chillies chopped
• 6 medium-sized onions chopped
• 8–10cm piece of ginger chopped
• 2 whole garlic bulbs with cloves chopped
• 800g chopped tomatoes
• 1.5 tsp salt
• 0.5 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 2kg skinless chicken wings
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1.5 tsp garam masala
• bunch coriander chopped
1. Heat butter over a medium heat.
2. Add chillies, onions, ginger and garlic and cook until golden brown.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric, cumin seeds. Cook on a low heat until the butter starts to rise to the edge of the masala sauce.
4. Add the chicken wings. Cook on low heat until the water comes out from the meat. Then raise heat for 5–8 mins to dry out the water.
5. Add boiling water.
6. Add garam masala and coriander. Cook on high heat for 5 mins then low heat for 15 mins. You will see the butter on the surface.
7. Serve with basmati rice and salad.
Note: you can add more or less chilli according to your tastes. Check the pot for salt levels before serving. You can cook this on a higher heat quicker if you are in a rush!
Recipe courtesy: Desi Indian stall (at Greenwich covered market)