Baida Curry (Egg Curry)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 6 eggs
• 2 tablespoons of veg oil or ghee
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 2 bay leaves
• 8 – 10 curry leaves
• 3 cloves
• 3 cardamom pods
• 175g of onion, sliced
• 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon of finely sliced ginger
• 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
• ¾ teaspoon of red chilli powder
• ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
• 250g chopped tomatoes
• ½ teaspoon of garam masala
• salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
1. Hard boil the eggs, shell and cut into quarters and arrange on the base of a serving dish.
2. Heat the oil or ghee in a karhai or wok. When the oil is very hot add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaves, curry leaves, cloves and cardamom pods.
3. When the spices begin to crackle (this will only take a few seconds) add the sliced onions and fry until they just start to brown (about 10-12 mins).
4. Stir in the garlic, ginger, ground coriander, red chilli powder and turmeric. Add a little water and cook, stirring for 2 mins.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and garam masala and cook over a low heat for 10–15mins. If the contents of the pan start to stick, add a little more water. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour the sauce over the eggs in the serving dish and sprinkle with the fresh coriander.